Immaculate Conception Confirmation Registration Information
Confirmation Coordinator: Lauren McKeegan firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2022 Confirmation Program Registration Period is April 16th- May 16th, 2021
Online Registration Forms received after May 16th will incur a $50 late fee
Forms received after June 1st will be deferred until the next year as our program will have begun
Registration for Immaculate Conception’s Confirmation Program is a 3 Step Process:
Complete the Online Candidate Registration Form (be prepared to provide dates and locations for your child’s Baptism and First Eucharist) by May 16th, 2021.
Help your child choose their Confirmation Sponsor and have their Sponsor fill out the Online Sponsor Form. The Sponsor Form must be completed by Sunday, May 16th. Information to help your child choose their Confirmation Sponsor can be found below.
- Attend the Virtual Parent & Candidate Meeting on Sunday, May 16th, 2021 from 7:00-8:30pm via Zoom, link will be e-mailed to all registered Confirmation Candidates that morning. This meeting is mandatory, at this meeting we will instruct you on the following:
1. All program components
2. The program fee of $200
- $100 due by June 1st, 2021 $100 due by September 1st, 2021
- Payment can be sent via Venmo to @ICCTOWSON
- Please include “CONFIRMATION- YOUR CHILD’S NAME” IN THE MEMO
- If you are not comfortable with Venmo, you can mail a check made out to “Immaculate Conception” with “CONFIRMATION- YOUR CHILD’S NAME” in the memo. Please note, many people are working remotely and your check will NOT be cashed immediately.
3. You will need to mail a copy of your child’s Baptismal and First Eucharist Certificates, if they were not received at Immaculate Conception in Towson, by June 1st
4. The last half of the meeting we will lead the candidate through the Archdiocesan Worthy of the Call training. This training is mandatory for teens volunteering in the Archdiocese. We will lead them through the training and will guide you through filling out the candidate’s Volunteer Form to be turned in by June 1st.
No registration will be complete until all three above steps have been completed:
What is Confirmation?
Confirmation increases and deepens the grace first received at Baptism. It is the third Sacrament of Initiation following Baptism and Eucharist. It enables us to better approach God as Father, strengthens our bond with Christ, “increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us,” binds us more closely with the Church, and “gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action.” (CCC, 1303)
Confirmation Preparation has Two Stages:
The year of religious education prior to immediate preparation received through either Catholic school, parish religious education or approved home school program
The yearlong program focused on the Sacrament’s meaning and ritual which provides formation for full, conscious, and active participation in the Rite of Confirmation.
THIS is the Confirmation Program we have registration open for
What the Archdiocese Requires of Immediate Preparation:
The Archdiocese of Baltimore requires all parishes to include certain components in the immediate phase of Confirmation preparation. Each requirement of the Confirmation Program at Immaculate Conception fulfills one of these components.
Candidate Requirements to Register for the Confirmation Program:
» Be a rising 9th-12th grader. Immaculate Conception confirms in the 9th grade year, but all high schoolers are welcomed to join us
» Attend Mass weekly and on Holy Days of Obligation
» Have received Catholic or Christian Baptism as well as First Eucharist with a certificate of proof
» Be a parishioner of the Church of the Immaculate Conception in good standing
- If you attended ICS or Family Faith Formation at Immaculate and are not a parishioner and would like to receive Confirmation at Immaculate Conception, you must request a letter of permission from your parish pastor which also states that you are a parishioner in good standing. This letter can be mailed to Lauren McKeegan at 200 Ware Ave. Towson, MD 21204 by June 1st
» Completed the Remote Preparation for the Sacrament meaning having been enrolled in religious education at a Catholic school, religious education program or approved Catholic home-school program one year prior to registering for the Confirmation Program.
Candidate Program Requirements:
All dates and assignments are required. Failure to attend the Confirmation Sessions and complete the assignments by their due dates may result in deferring reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
We understand that emergencies happen. One Session absence is allowed in the case of an emergency and a makeup meeting will be assigned.
» Virtual Confirmation Parent & Candidate Meeting on May 16th, 2021 from 7:00-8:30pm via Zoom
» Virtual Rite of Welcome with Sponsor at the first Confirmation Session Sep. 12th 6:45-8:30pm
» ALL 6 Confirmation Sessions on the 2nd Sunday of the month from 6:45-8:30pm running September to April
» Complete Service Project of 7 hours, at minimum, of service to family, as well as 3 hours of community service and complete a 250 word essay about the experience
» Choose a Confirmation name (Saint or Blessed) and complete a 250 word essay explaining your choice
» Confirmation Overnight Retreat at Camp Wabanna- March 12th-13th, 2022
» Complete a Pastoral Interview at the end of the program which allows for guidance, encouragement, discussions of faith, content, ownership of faith and continued growth.
» Confirmation Rehearsal and Liturgy (dates will be announced in Fall 2021)
You will receive a calendar of all dates and details of all program components and requirements at the mandatory virtual Parent and Candidate Meeting on Sunday, May 16th via Zoom from 7:00pm-8:30pm.
» Attend the Parent and Candidate Meeting on Sunday, May 16th with your candidate
» Make every effort to get your teen to ALL required events and have them complete all assignments
» Support your teen in prayer and love
We are so excited to begin this Confirmation journey with you! We are praying for you and look forward to “gathering” with you on Sunday May 16th at the Zoom Parent and Candidate Meeting!
Please e-mail me with any questions.
What is a Confirmation Sponsor?
Each Confirmation Candidate is required to select one sponsor to walk with them through their journey. A Confirmation Sponsor is an invaluable assistant to parents in transmitting the faith. For that reason, parents cannot sponsor their own children. A sponsor is a sort of Catholic mentor. They should be good role models, comfortable in their faith, and able to be active in the mentoring process. It is strongly encouraged that the sponsor chosen lives within a reasonable proximity to allow for active involvement. A sponsors can be an older adult friend whom the candidate can trust to be open, honest, caring, and encouraging.
Who can be a Confirmation Sponsor?
The sponsor must be a fully-initiated, practicing member of the Catholic Church, who is at least 16 years of age and registered at a Catholic parish.
Fully-initiated– baptized, confirmed and receives the Eucharist.
Practicing– attends Mass regularly and support the mission of the parish.
*If your Sponsor is not a registered member of Immaculate Conception, they need have their parish complete a Sponsor Verification Form and mail it to Immaculate Conception c/o Confirmation Ministry by June 1st, 2021.
How to Choose Your Sponsor:
The role of a sponsor is that of an active mentor not of holding an honorary title. By definition, a mentor is someone who serves as a guide, counselor, and teacher for another person. Whomever you choose should be active in the church, able and willing to share why his/her Catholic faith is important to him/her, and who lives close enough to help you with and be involved in your preparation. You can choose a relative (other than a parent/guardian), friend, or someone from the Church as your sponsor. Carefully consider your choice, pray about it, and when you think you have the right person, ask him or her to help you grow in faith by being your sponsor!
Your Sponsor Serves You in Three Ways:
1) As a role model for you in faith. Your sponsor is someone other than your parents because he/she will assist you and your parents in your continued faith formation. The person you choose does not have to be the same gender as you.
2) As a companion on your faith journey, supporting you in prayer and in your search for the Holy Spirit. Someone whose Christian lifestyle you admire, someone with whom you feel comfortable, and someone who has the time and willingness to be involved with you throughout this process.
3)As a witness for you before the entire Church. Standing by you as you are confirmed, he/she proclaims by that gesture that you are ready and willing to accept the responsibilities and privileges of being a fully initiated member of the Catholic Christian community
What is Required of a Confirmation Sponsor:
The sponsor needs to be willing to meet with the candidate on a regular basis prior to Confirmation and to make a commitment to continue the faith journey after Confirmation. The sponsor is to attend, stand witness for his/her candidate, and present his/her candidate to the Bishop at the Confirmation Liturgy.
Attendance is required at the:
–Rite of Welcome and Sponsor and Candidate Reflection
Being a Confirmation Sponsor is both an honor and responsibility. It is our joy to support both candidates and sponsors throughout this Confirmation journey.
We are so excited to begin this journey with you! We are praying for you and look forward to “gathering” with you virtually on Sunday, May 16th at the Parent and Candidate Meeting!
Please email me with any questions.